Besides the warm melted cheese and burst of juicy berries, the wonderful thing about this recipe is the convenience! It can be prepared the night before and refrigerated overnight, then baked in the morning before brunch is served.
2 tbsp (30mL) melted butter
6 slices whole grain bread, cut each slice in quarters (4) for a total of 24 pieces
1 cup (250mL) grated cheddar cheese- divided
1 medium sized apple, cored and thinly sliced
4 large eggs
2 cups (500mL) 1% milk
1 tsp (5mL) vanilla
½ tsp (2mL) ground cinnamon
1 cup (250mL) blueberries, rinsed
1 cup (250mL) strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced
- Butter an 8×11 inch rectangle baking dish
- Line the bottom of the baking dish with 12 pieces (quarters) of bread.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup (125mL) of cheese. Add a layer of sliced apples.
- Layer with remaining 12 pieces of bread. Add remaining ½ cup of cheese. Add remaining apples.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour it over the bread mixture.
- Cover, and let stand one hour or longer in the refrigerator, or refrigerate overnight.
- To prepare: Heat oven to 350 F. Add a layer of mixed berries. Re-cover with aluminum foil, adding a few holes to let the steam escape. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the bread is set and the top is browned. Remove foil for the last 10 minutes of baking to help with browning.
- Serve warm, garnished with Greek yogurt.
Nutrition information: Per serving (1/6 of recipe)
300 calories, 16 g fat, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fibre, 16 g protein, 341 mg sodium
Source of vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron