Fresh, nutritious, whole food is one pillar of the heart-smart Mediterranean diet, which also emphasizes physical activity and sharing meals with friends and family.
As with any nutritious eating plan, breakfast is essential as part of the Mediterranean diet. Perhaps you have no time to cook heart-healthy oatmeal in the morning? Here’s a solution! Plan ahead by preparing your oats the night before, then simply enjoy in the morning – no cooking required! Serve with your favourite seasonal or frozen fruit, and a dollop of Greek yogurt to add a Mediterranean flair. Paired with the creamy oats and almond butter, the fruit adds the perfect amount of sweetness.
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 cup (250 mL) rolled oats
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chia seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) almond butter
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) honey, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup (125 mL) Greek yogurt
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced fruit in season, such as pomegranate, peach, berries, apples, etc.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) slivered almonds
- Combine milk, oats, chia seeds, almond butter, cinnamon and honey in a jar or container with a lid.
- Stir to combine. Ensure oats are moistened and immersed in milk.
- Seal with lid and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve: Pour half of the oat mixture into a bowl. Top with half of the Greek yogurt, fruit, almonds and a drizzle of honey.